Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pennsylvania to Alaska June 2014 Planning Page

So far, this trip hasn't been committed to.  It's only in the planning stages.  Anyone who's done this trip or plans to go with me on it is welcome to comment.  I would say that this plan is not even half baked yet.  I'm just brainstorming.

I've selected Port Clinton, PA (or thereabouts) as my start point and Fairbanks AK as my turn around point.  This will be the longest out and back I've done to date.

The plan is for legs that are no more than about 750 miles with most of them being in the 300-400 mile range.  Some  days, I'm sure I'll feel spunky and want to do more; some days less.  I want to spend a week in Alaska, so I'm planning for the trip to take a full week, including some contingency days.

Here's a pic of what I'm thinking as of now.


I'm thinking the way points will be something like:

B. Montreal Canada
C. Saulte Ste. Marie, Canadian side
D. Thunder bay, ON Canada
E. Saskatoon, SK, Canada
F. Edmonton, AB, Canada
G. Ft. St. John, BC, Canada
H. Hyland River Provincial Park, Stikine Region, BC, Canada
I. Whitehorse, YT, Canada
J. Faribanks, AK
K. retrace back to Saskatoon, SK Canada then turn south to Moose Jaw, SK, Canada
I. Minot, ND
M. Fargo, ND
N. Sioux Falls, SD
O. Madison, WI
P. Kalamazoo, MI
Q. Port Clinton, PA

There's probably 19 days of actual riding, notwithstanding any day stops to be made along the way.  That leaves plenty of time for a week in AK and 4 or 5 days of contingency time.  As I plan, I'll see if this is enough.  I'm concerned right now about the Canadian portion of the trip.  It seems like any detours are measured in hundreds of miles.

Onward with the planning....

1 comment:

  1. From a friend of mine.... BTW-I know the Haul Road is somewhat of a "right of passage" but a better trip in all respects is the road from Inuvit to Tuktoyaktic out of the Yukon and NWT-the people are native and you don 't get there wondering why you did so much damage to your bike getting there-as with Prudhoe-the end of the road at Prudhoe is such a stinky, gross, expensive, gritty shithole.

    ReplyDelete