Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Tools for the road

Anything can happen on a cross country trip.  Here's what I'm bringing with me to handle any roadside mechanical issues with my BMW K 1600 GT.

Tire patch kit (plugs, glue, air compressor)
Battery Charger
Voltage meter
Torx wrench set
Allen wrench set
Driver with multiple tips (standard, phillips, etc.)
2 adjustable wrenches
Vice grips
Metric socket set with small extensions
Leatherman
Duct Tape
Cash
Debit Card
Roadside assistance number and cell phone

All items are wrapped in ziplock bags (Tools, Tire Change, Battery stuff).  If I'm doing repair work in the rain, I don't need everything getting wet.

In addition, getting stranded somewhere is a possibility.  I also bring:

1 man tent (when traveling alone)
tarp
air matress
paracord - lots of it, and figure 9's
sleeping bag
Food and water
Hand warmers - these are great for the obvious reasons; but, also to warm up a dead battery.

Can anyone think of anything else I might need for a roadside repair?

7 comments:

  1. For road side repairs you will need prayers....many prayers! I will take care of that on my end for you along with prayers for a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JB Weld and oil. I had, unfortunately, a spill on a ride in the Smokey Mountains. The damage, a hole in one of my valve covers that leaked a lot of oil. Up on the mountain there aren't many options. So I wiped it clean and slapped some JB Weld on it, filled it with oil, and down the mountain I came to the Honda dealership to get a new cover to save the trip. It saved me time and money for a tow. So my recommendation is JB Weld and oil as you never know what will happen......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christal, thank you for the prayers. Maybe I could ask for a couple specific additions? I would like you to pray that all police along the way are safe and eating well at some excellent restaurant a couple miles away from my path. Second, I would like you to pray that I don't need any JB weld. Mike, I'll add it to my kit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob, LOL.....got you covered !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good call Christal... While Bob is very well educated and smart about so many things, he has yet master how that little round thing on the front of the bike with numbers on it getting incrementally higher, relate to those rectangle shaped thingy's with large 2 digit numbers that read 65 or 75..... The first time I rode next to Bob I was glad that I was on a Goldwing! lmao.....;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait, if I recall, you wouldn't let me lead because my pipes were too loud. Besides, we did 1000 miles in 16:45. That's right at 60 mph. I'd say that was a great pace. I think you better lead on this trip as well. The speedo on my brand new BMW is off by 30 mph. It reads 90 when it should read 60. I'll have to get that adjusted some time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike, when I rode on Bobs' bike he didn't go over 60.............

    ReplyDelete