Thursday, July 18, 2013

NJ to: CA - The plan


Branchburg NJ to Redlands California Trip Plans

Plan 1:   See as much of the pacific northwest as possible.  I am happy to take interstates and bypass some good riding in the eastern half of the US to focus more of my time in places like the Rockies, Yellowstone, the Colorado river and the pacific coast highway.  The plan is ambitious, covering 4,800 miles.  I have 12 days to do it.

Day 1 is a short 200 miles.  I'm picking up my friend in Frederick Md., who will join me for the next 750 - 1000 miles.  (7/24) A-B

The day 2 plan is to stay north as much as possible, since it's plenty hot.  If we do the 1000 mile run, our first destination point is somewhere 40 miles west of Des Moines Iowa. (7/25) B-C

Day 3 gets me all the way to Loveland CO.  I'd like to   I will add Iowa and Nebraska to the list of states I have been to.  This is the beginning of a scenic motorcycle route through the rockies called the Walden loop.  It's 220 miles through the Rocky Mountain Forest. (7/26) C-D

Day 4 The Walden loop.  This will probably be a full day of riding.  Chances are, I will stay in Fort Collins Co. (7/27) 220 miles.  D-E

Day 5 Fort Collins Co. to the entrance of Bear Tooth Highway.  500 miles. E-F (7/28)

Day 6 Bear Tooth Highway 113 miles through the Rocky Mountains. (7/29) F-G  I will stay somewhere at in Yellowstone National Park.

Day 7 Yellowstone National Park to Goldendale Wa. 775 miles. G-H.  Through Idaho, Oregon and ends up in Washington.  The trip parallels the Colorado river.

Day 8 Goldendale Wa to Redwood National Forest 490 miles.  H-I. 

Day 9 and 10 Redwood National Forest to Redlands CA via Pacific Coast Highway 740 miles.  I-K

Day 1 - 200 miles
Day 3 - 1800 miles
Day 5 - 2500 miles
Day 7 - 3400 miles
Day 8 - 3900 miles
Day 10 - 4800 miles

Plan B, C, D, EIEIO - Few plans survive the first encounter with the enemy.  In this case, the enemy is Murphy.  As long as I can maintain the mileages above, I will arrive and have 2 days to decompress before I go back to work.  If that doesn't happen, I can use time to handle any issues that might arise.  I can also go direct from points D, E, F and G.  Once I get to Washington though, my only outs are to take the interstate instead of the Pacific Coast Highway.

7/29/2013 As expected, the plan changed - for the better.  When I arrived for my tour of Yellowstone, I found out that I could do the Bear Tooth highway and more.  The route lands me in Livingston Mt., and adds another state to my list of states I've ridden in.  My goal is to get all lower 48 states.  The new plan also appears to be a nicer ride through Idaho!


2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to making the leg to Des Moines on the first day; this will make the 2nd day 500 mile portion of the Butt Burner cert easy to obtain. Crystal and I are planning day 2 to Dayton, OH and stay there overnight to tour the National Museum of the Air Force.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, I like this plan. If we do this, I'll make Loveland CO on day 2. I have plans to do the Walden loop in the Rockies. I'll also make the Butt Burner.

    ReplyDelete