Tuesday, July 23, 2013

NJ to CA: Day 1 : 7/24/2013 Branchburg, NJ to: Frederick MD

The forecasted weather for this trip is below.  The GPS routing for this takes me down I-95; but, I've done this trip dozens of times.  This route is just as fast and much less expensive than taking all the toll roads through Delaware.  Also, the ride down route 15 through Gettysburg is always very nice.


The weather was mostly as advertised with temps a little lower than expected.  Traffic was light until Harrisburg, where it came to a stop on Rt. 81.  I re-routed - 734 to 22W to 83S.

I'm feeling a bit melancholy today.  I'm excited that this adventure is starting and disappointed that I'm leaving my family behind.  I had a great time at home and spent lots of time with everyone. It was exciting spending 5 days traveling cross country with my dad and tons of pool time with my mom, step-dad, sister, brother in-law, niece, and nephew.  I  rounded out my time at home by catching up on Dexter (2.5 seasons worth) with my dad and step mother.

I'm doing the next 1000 mile with my friend Mike.  Mike and I met SCUBA diving; but, have also done some motorcycle riding together, including an IBA certified Iron Butt ride from Maryland to Tennessee.  That ride was a bit over a year ago.  Mile is an outstanding rider and an expert in logistics.  He's definitely a good guy to ride with and very focused.

Tomorrow's trip - Frederick Md. to a spot just west of Des Moines Iowa.

2 comments: