Monday, July 29, 2013

NJ to CA : Day 8 : July 30 : Bozeman MT to Hillsboro OR

This leg is from Bozeman MT. to Goldendale WA.  Why Goldendale?  Because when I was planning my trip, I wanted to touch Washington.  Now, I'm going to drive all the way through it, so I may not stop there.  I may go on to Portland Oregon if the mood suits me.  Then again, I could use a day off; but, I don't want it to be here.  Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Tomorrow, the weather gets worse as the morning goes on.  I'll leave as soon as possible.  Also, the heat cranks up, so it looks like an early start tomorrow.



It also appears that I'll be riding right along the stationary front, unless it moves by morning.  If it doesn't move, the weather will be pretty unstableas the highs and lows battle it out.  Figures I'm traveling toward a low!  I'd rather this on an interstate day than on a picture taking day.


Well, I decided to go further than planned. 641 miles planned, rode 771.  That puts me in place to start going down the Pacific Coast Highway tomorrow, starting West of Portland Oregon.

It was a long day today.  The only picture I have to share is the welcome sign to Idaho.  I'll post that later.  The ride from Bozeman through Spokane is pretty hairy.  I've never seen an interstate posted at 75 mph with such twisties.  Some of the warning signs post them at 45 mph.  It's also features gusty winds along this portion.  Lots of very tall pines.  The smell is overwhelming!

Washington State between Spokane and Portland Or. is pretty boring until you get to the Columbia and Hood rivers, which are spectacular!  There's even a couple dams in there.

Finding rooms to stay in on short notice is getting to be hard now that I'm nearer civilization.  I got turned down in 5 places tonight before ending up at a Comfort Inn in Hillsboro Or.


No comments:

Post a Comment