Wednesday, August 16, 2017

20170816 - Poplar Bluffs MO to Clarksburg, Wv




All 2 of my loyal readers will recall that I have had many encounters with animals on my bike.  I've run over snakes, groundhogs and been hit by bats, birds, etc.  Somewhere, I have a post with a tally.  I'll have to dig that out so I can increment the number.  I just don't know by how much.

This happened the day before yesterday and I forgot to mention it.  I was riding along in Oklahoma, minding my own business and taking note of all the dead armadillos on the road.  I was just in the process of recalling how they tend to freeze when there is danger and that results in lots of road kill.  Right about then, I was jolted back into reality by a sting on my right side.  Not one, but two, then three and by the time I got my jacket open, I was stung 4 times.  I have welts from the little bastard(s).  I was wearing my bright yellow riding summer riding jacket, and with black pants, I imagine I looked like a big yellow jacket riding a motorcycle and the little critter(s) wanted to have a look, only to get caught inside my jacket.  I'm sure they came up from the bottom.  I would definitely have noticed them going down the neck.

Back to today's ride.   Leaving MO, I saw a radar picture that said do not go through Paduka KY, so I didn't.  I started heading up 57 North with plans to grab 64 and continue east.  I have to admit, I was really upset about this.  First, I was on the super-slab and second, I've already been on those highways so I wouldn't be making anymore new lines on my map.  I was really bummed about it.

Well, I stopped for fuel and checked the weather as I've become accustomed to doing now and Paduca cleared, but my current route had a big thunderstorm right in the middle of it.





So, not being afraid to go a hundred or two miles out of my way, I headed back down to Paducha.  In fact, a local who was at the gas station gave me some advice to keep me from going further north.  I actually stopped for breakfast and it was a proper breakfast - Eggs, cheese grits, toast and tea.  I was back to being excited because my route would now take me through the Western Kentucky Parkway and the Bluegrass Parkway.  With visions of the Blue Ridge Parkway going through my head, I was excited by the possibility of some awesome landscapes.  That simply did not happen.  My hopes were dashed.  It was just another super-slab with a parkway moniker attached to it.  ughh.  At least I had new lines on the map and know where I don't need to go back to.

Now, I-79 is another story.  That is in WV.  This features a 70 mph speed limit, twisties and a beautiful landscape.  I recommend this super-slab.  Here's some video:

<<<Insert super slab video>>>

I have been in WV more than once and I know the super-slab is not lit well, so riding these roads at night isn't really recommended.  Fast turns, headlights only, and not so attentive drivers make this a dangerous situation.  I pulled off just shy of Clarksburg WV, leaving me 4 hours to my destination.  I decided to get my room before going to get dinner.  Even if things are closing, it's more important to secure a room before other weary travelers take what's available.

Dinner was at this little Mexican restaurant called Don Patron Mexican Grille.  Their salsa is fantastic, as are their tamales.  Don't fill up on the chips, the dinner is well worth waiting for.

Here are the maps:

Today:

Trip so far:

All together:

No comments:

Post a Comment