Monday, August 14, 2017

20170813 - St. George UT to Pagosa Springs CO

My Internet connection is horrible, so I'm going to keep this short today.  I was up long before sunrise this morning and even had time for an International Skype call with a friend in Korea before getting on the road.  Here's a video of the sunrise:

<<<Insert sunrise video>>>

I took a path through Hurricane UT.  By the sounds of that name, I expected there to be anarchy in the streets or perpetual nasty weather.  None of those were true.  Hurricane is a sleepy little town.  It looks like lights are out at 9am and nobody stirs before 8:30.  Right after Hurricane, I was smack dab in the middle of the Red Mesas.  WOW.  I'm really into landscapes and these were spectacular.  This would last all the way till Colorado, where things turn green.  I even stopped and flew the drone while I was in Arizona.

<<<Insert drone footage>>>

My trip to the North Rim was a little short.  That is to say I got there, walked about 200 yards, looked over the edge, took some horrible GoPro video that I won't even post and left.  It seems that the North Rim was hosting thunderstorms in the morning and the skies were looking mean.  I didn't want to stay, but I do want to come back.  It's breath taking.

I've been trying to avoid the super-slab as much as possible and today, there was no super-slab.  While enjoying the landscapes in UT and AZ, I learned that NM was planning on hosting thunderstorms across the northern tier in the afternoon and early evening.  I managed to detour into Colorado, which was unplanned, but very nice.  It was totally worth doing.  New Mexico has wonderful landscapes, no doubt; but, I had a full day of mesa's.  It was time for something else.

I stopped for the night in Pagosa Springs Colorado after riding from sun up to sun down.  It was 8pm when I pulled into this hotel with horrible Internet.  That's not bad considering I've been known to push well into the evening hours.

The plan for tomorrow is to end up in Oklahoma.  Why?  Well, my K1600GT hasn't been to Oklahoma.  I plan to take 160 to 385 to 412 and ride 412 east for the day.

Here's what I did today:




No comments:

Post a Comment