Thursday, August 1, 2013

NJ to CA : Day 10 : 8/1/2013 : (Pics) Pacific Coast Highway Crescent City CA to Petaluma CA

Today, I plan to get a little later start than usual.  I will head out about 9, after it warms up a couple degrees.  I also plan to have breakfast first, something I don't ordinarily do.  Generally, I've been stopping after I have my first hundred miles or so in the books.  This morning, I'm kinda hungry and it can be slim pickin's on 101 until you get to town, which can be far in between.

I've been mucking with this stationary front for the last how many days now?  I'm expecting more gusty winds and not believing the weather forecast below it.  I'm thinking that it will be overcast and cool, like yesterday; and that will continue most of the way.  I'm not buying the 80 degree thing at all.  In fact, I don't think I'll see warm temperatures until I'm a bit south of San Francisco.  Hopefully, I'm wrong.  The good news is that there isn't any precipitation in the forecast, so that's good.



I started the day with a trip into Redwood Forest, even though a large part of my route on 101 covers it.  "Rough Narrow Winding Road" doesn't really cover it.  It should read "Rough, Narrow, Unstable Road with severe inclines, drop offs and switch backs, not recommended for 2 wheeled vehicles that aren't trail bikes."  There, now that should fit on the sign.


This is the good part, where I could safely park my bike and get a picture or two.







And no photo set would be complete without the obligatory picture showing how tall the Redwoods really are by lying on your back and shooting up...


I thought some local color pics would be in order before I left Crescent City.  These would make a good painting or even a puzzle.






Then I heard some sea lions barking.


...and rode over for some close ups.



I blew this image up a bit in case you were having trouble counting whiskers.  It's at the end of the photo reel.  I probably shot a dozen pics showing some preening and nursing action.  They're available if anyone wants those.


So, this guy is walking his dog on the dock and this exchange takes place:

Him: "Those damn things are a pain in the ass.  The ones in the front are California Harbor Seals and the ones in the back are Sea Lions."

Me:  "Why are they all laying there together like that."

Him:  "Well, we built these platforms (there were 2) so they would do that.  We can't stop them from coming in the harbor and without the platforms, they would climb up on the boats and shit all over the place.  They also break pieces off the boats.  You used to be able to kill the damn things."

Me: "Hmmm, well, a couple great whites would take care of your problem; but, there's never a great white around when you need one."

Him: "No kidding."

Me: "Well, you know where the great whites are now, right?"

Him: "No, where?"

Me:  "Getting their pictures taken for shark week.  It starts in a couple days."


More pics.  These were taken on 101 - the Redwood highway.  The original pics are bigger than the blog will allow you to view without panning.  If anyone wants any of these pics, just let me know.







Mike, thanks for the kick stand thingy.  I needed it here!




The northern part of today's leg was pretty crummy.  Not too cold; but, no sunshine.  This picture might as well have been taken in the arctic.


60 miles north of Eureka on 101, I see this.  So, I pull over.  It was a good excuse, my butt was sore by this point.


There was some other scenery as well.



...and Cal Fire had ground units on the scene.  The fire wasn't really large; but, there's a house on top of this hill.


This truck was sent to go up the hill and protect the house.


Commercial break:  While this fire was going on, I managed to snap a picture of these logging trucks.  There are hundreds of them.  It's depressing.  I'm not going to get liberal crazy on anyone; but, the next time you wrap half a roll of toilet paper around your hand before wiping, or print out that email, please think about how we're chopping down a very beautiful forest.


The first helicopter comes in for a look.



It's very cool the way Cal Fire does this.  First, they send in a supervisor plane (not pictured), which is really high up.  That plane coordinates ground units with the arial drops of fire retardant and water.  Everyone follows the same pattern, attacking the fire from upwind.  They're like bees swarming.  In no time, there were 3 airplanes and a helicopter working this fire.  Check out the Cal Fire web site.  Apparently, they have 747's in their arial arsenal to drop retardant.  It is truly amazing.





He's low.  See him below the tree line?













Here's some blow ups.  You'll have to pan the picture.  It's big.  Apparently, these sea lions have had some close calls.



And just in case you couldn't read the tail number...


I have video also; but, I can't upload that here.  Just ask.

This leg of the journey was really fun.  It started you a little chilly and overcast; but, the sun finally came through and I had mostly 70 degree temps.  The ride was a bit gusty and at times a little unnerving as I'd go through some of the twisties and get pounded by a gust.

The road itself is great.  Mostly 55 - 65 speed limits with plenty of hairy turns thrown in there.  I'm used to east coast high speed highways being relatively straight.  Not the case from Montana west!  You definitely need to pay attention.  I'd have to say that my riding skills have improved dramatically since the time I left NJ.  I also got plenty of action on milled roads, dirt roads, rain riding, and high wind riding on this trip.  If you're thinking about doing it and have some riding experience, go for it.  If you're just starting out, pick some smaller trips and get some experience first.  This isn't an ideal trip for new riders.

1 comment:

  1. You're welcome about the kick stand thingy.... Funny, I don't know what its called either! lol.. I was thinking as I viewed the pics of your travels; it would be nice to have enough money to never have to work again. If I did, I would travel the country and spend the time to really experiance all the places the road could take me....

    ReplyDelete