Thursday, August 22, 2013

08/23/2013 - 6,000 mile service

I brought the bike in with 6,005 miles on it.  I was 5 miles over the recommended mileage for the service.  If I didn't have to run home first, I would have hit it exactly.  Oh well.

So this service is pretty much a glorified oil change and I'm upset that I had to bring the bike in for it.  I like to work on my bikes myself.  Unfortunately, there's a rule at my apartment complex that you can't work on vehicles in their parking spaces.  As it was, I had a slow leak in my rear tire and the cause was what looked like a pin that had penetrated the tread in a sideways fashion, must barely getting deep enough to cause the air leak.  If I were to plug it, I would have to ream it out bigger first and I'm not really excited about running around on a plug.  I don't think I could have patched it because the hole was in a spot where I wouldn't get a good seal around the hole.

Either way, my service is done, and I'm ready to ride another 6k.  I have to say that Riverside BMW is really great.  I made my appointment the day before without any fuss - online!  My "loaner" was the sales demo BMW K1600GTL with 800 miles on it.  How could I possibly be upset about that.  In fact, I figured that while I had an empty top case and bags, I'd stop on my way home and fill them with groceries.  Baddabing!  They were done with my bike by mid-morning, so instead of waiting for the end of the day, I brought them their sales model back and grabbed my ride at lunch time.  It was 106 and it felt like 160.  I really like a big fairing.  On my Harley, I've ridden in temps that high and can say that it's like being in a convection oven where the heat is blowing from a fan.  Not cool.

Tariff for service and new back tire:  $511.25

No comments:

Post a Comment