Sunday, August 9, 2015

20150809 - Clarksburg WV to Alexandria VA (near Washington DC)

I made the right decision.  What an awesome ride.  By 8:30, the dew point / temperature spread was > 4 degrees F and opening fast.  The temp through the mountains was in the 70's, and I must say this was a fantastic ride.  I took US 50 all the way across WV and into VA, with only a brief 15 or 20 miles in Maryland.  I highly recommend it.  It is just as curvy as Tail of the Dragon, only the curves are spread out a little more, so you have time to calculate, learn from what you just did, apply it to the next curve and so on.  The speed limit on this route is 55 most of the way, except for the little jaunt into Maryland, where it comes down to 50.  There are also a couple small towns where the limit comes down to 40.  This is plenty fast on a rode that is riddled with 30 mph turns (real 30 mph turns - not just because they are posted that way).  I highly recommend this route for the riding and the scenery.  When you get into VA and pass Winchester on the way into the DC metro area, you will pass through many wonderful little towns.  Several are gathering places for motorcycle enthusiasts.

By now, my reader is wondering why I haven't published my composit map of my BMW K1600 travels, so here it is:


Now, one might be inclined to point out that OK and AR don't have any lines through them and I just declared victory on having ridden in all lower 48 states.  This would be because these states were ridden on my Harley.  The goal was to ride all 50 states.  To make it specific to my K16 would be very hard, considering Hawaii.

Here's some pictures from this trip.

 The obligatory photo of the Tree of shame.

 BMW riders and Harley rides can get along.  I made room for these guys.  We all shared great stories.





NO, I can't take off my helmet for selfie.  I have ear plugs in.  I'm not going to go through the trouble.  Maybe I could have put up my visors though.

No comments:

Post a Comment