Saturday, August 8, 2015

20150807 - Cordele GA to Tail of the Dragon then to Corbin KY (then to Washington DC)

My lazy butt stayed in bed until 7:23am.  One would think that the excitement of doing the Tail of the Dragon again and scratching Kentucky off my list of states I haven't visited on a motorcycle would have had me out of bed; but, it didn't.  As per normal procedure, I checked weather and confirmed my routing.  The plan was to go around Atlanta and to check out some of GA's back country, so I routed through Athens and then up to Robbinsville - the town closest to the beginning of the Southern entrance to the Dragon.

Road kill has a much more pungent smell to it in Georgia.  I don't know what they season it with; but, it is different from road kill everywhere else in the country.  The other thing of note is the very distinct smell of trash in Georgia.  It felt like I was following a garbage truck for miles.  Maybe I was.

For the one or two people that are reading my blog, I have to mention that 129N and 411N south of Tail of the Dragon are not to be ignored.  These are great warmups for the Tail.  As luck would have it, it was drizzling leading up to the Tail and the Tail was wet when I got to it.  That didn't seem to slow me down at all.  For those detail oriented riders, I'm running Michelin Road Pilots (3 up front and a 4 in the rear).



The Tail is like Thanksgiving Dinner - lots of time thinking about it, maybe even planning for it; and then, it's all over in like 15 minutes or so.

After the Tail, I continued on and decided a good place to stop was Corbin KY.  I could keep going; but, this stopping point gave me some good options and I didn't have a plan after I got to KY anyway.  So, hotel it, charge everything, gas the bike and look at a map.  That's the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment