Saturday, August 8, 2015

20150808 - Corbin KY to Clarksburg WV (and on to Washington DC area)

At this point, I have plenty of time to get to my destination before training begins in Tyson's Corner Va on Monday, so I'm going to stretch my ride a little and see more of KY and ride US 50 across WV.  The stretch of 50 that goes between Clarksburg and I-81 outside Winchester VA is very nice stretch of road that winds it's way through the Appalachians.

Ride, ride, ride, ride.  Kentucky is beautiful.  I'd love to buy a home out here.  Winchester is gorgeous and has some really nice houses.

When I got as far as Parkersburg, WV, it was time to check weather.  The skies were looking very soggy and if there are storms on the mountain, I don't want to be up there.  There are no places to hunker down.  Once this ride starts, you have only two choices - forward and back.  It's 3 and a half hours in duration.  It so happened that there was some light precip on the mountain and one thunderhead.  It was afternoon, when thunderstorms tend to grow.  I have about 5 hours between me and my destination and the option of picking up the interstate in Clarksburg if the weather guessers are wrong about tomorrow's weather.  I decided that I would go as far as Clarksburg - another hour East and check again.  This is the last point before I get into the mountains.

At Clarksburg, the weather looked about the same, maybe a little worse, so I decided to pack it in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment