Friday, May 30, 2014

20140528 - Sebago lake Me, to Bar Harbor Me

As stated in my last post, the lodge at Sebago Lake is wonderful.  It's also for sale.  So, if any readers are in the market for investment property in Maine, here's an opportunity.

Looking at the weather, we knew we were in for cold and rain.  We knew we were going to pack out in the rain and end in the rain; but, we might get sunshine after we arrived.  Because we knew we weren't going to see much countryside, we opted for interstate and ran out to I-95 as quick as we could.  About the only interesting thing we saw was a C-5 fly over us while landing at Bangor International airport.


Temps for this ride were in the upper 40's.  I put on my heated jacket and heated gloves.  I didn't need the heated pants or socks.  My traveling companions were wearing leather jackets and chaps and a bunch of sweatshirts.  There was definite conversation about them getting heated gear if they were serious about riding long distances regularly!  We also talked about rain gear and the important qualities of that.  These are separate blog posts though.

We stopped at a Dunkin' Donuts outside Bangor for them to warm up.  I took the opportunity to Yelp for a B&B in Bar Harbor and found Acacia Place.  Ralph answered the phone when I called and was happy to have us.  We pulled in introduced ourselves and with expert precision and prejudice, got out of our riding gear.  Since the sun was now starting to poke out, we decided to walk the town and grab some pictures.  Ralph was great in pointing out where to go and also pulled up the information about the tides so we could walk over to the island.

Today happened to be Mike and Crystal's 32nd anniversary.  Things were planned differently.  I was hopeful to leave them alone for the day and leave them alone; but, they were insistent that we stay together for the trip.  When we arrived at Acacia, I asked Ralph for a suggestion for them on where to eat and he gladly provided.

Our walk around Bar Harbor was wonderful.  We shot many pics of the harbor and the island.  I left Mike and Crystal to shoot pictures of some of the wonderful houses on the island and leave them for dinner.

After returning to Acacia, I again consulted Yelp for a place to dine.  Knowing where Mike and Crystal would be, I wanted to choose something different; but, lobster was on the menu.  I looked at the menu of about 5 places and settled on Steward's on West street.  I initially seated myself outside; but, the temps were dropping fast and I moved in.  During that time, I got a text from Mike.  He was uncomfortable at the restaurant that was suggested as he wasn't dressed for it.  I asked him where he was and he said they were at the same restaurant I was.  I looked around and didn't' see him.  He was downstairs.  They very graciously invited me down; but, I really didn't want to be part of their anniversary dinner.  I sent them champagne instead.

I got the Down East Lobster special - Lobster, mussels, potato and corn, with clam chowder and blueberry pie.  Everything was great except the lobster, which was still good; but, overcooked.  The shell crushed instead of snapped while trying to get at the meat.  I think I would go there again; but, I would explore other places first.

No comments:

Post a Comment