Wednesday, May 7, 2014

18,000 mile service, invoice and comments

I brought in my 2013 K1600GT for it's 18,000 mile service last week and picked it up today.  In addition to the 18K service I asked Hermy's to check out the turn signal switch because I didn't like the way it felt.  It felt "crunchy."  I also asked them to check on the front tire, as it was about time for a new one.  Finally, I asked them to check the turn signal cancellation function.  My friend Mike was repeatedly reminding me on our last ride to turn off my turn signals.  I thought that was automatic.  Next, I asked for a new center stand as the original was showing rust and it is only 10 months old.  Finally, I just had the oil changed and asked them to skip it if that didn't interfere with any other part of the service.

Just for asking, they replaced the switch.  I'm sure there was an evaluation involved; but, under warranty, they replaced it.

Hermy, the GM has been working with BMW for the past few weeks to get BMW to replace my center stand under warranty.  He made that happen.

The turn signal cancellation thingy is apparently an option I turned off at some point whilst fumbling around with menu options.  They reset that for me.

The front tire was shot.  It wasn't as shot as my back tire was a couple weeks ago (see video below); but, it wasn't going to get me very far before I started seeing belts.  I replaced it with a Michelin  Road Pilot 3 to match the back.

During the examination of my bike, the technician noted a cracked ignition coil.  Nobody seems to know how that happened; but, they replaced it under warranty.  The part had to be ordered from Germany and it took 3 working days (over a weekend of course) to arrive.  My bike was down for about a week due to this.  I'm concerned about this part as Hrmy's says it's quite irregular.  They also noted the water pump was leaking and replaced that, again under warranty.

Finally, somebody gummed up the bolts that hold my auxiliary lights on.  I was glad to hear this because when I did the body panel replacements, I couldn't get them to budge.  Apparently, they were cross threaded.  This work was taken care of under warranty as well.

I went in expecting about a $1k invoice, plus the cost of a new tire.  Hermy's finished it up with more work and less cost than I thought.  I'm really happy with the quality of service and the service team.  I can confidently recommend them to all my Motorad brothers and sisters if you're in the region and need service.

Here's the invoice.





1 comment: