Friday, April 15, 2016

Uneven road surface - what happens if you catch an edge of your tire?


The question usually goes like this...I'm riding on the highway and there's construction up ahead.  They are paving a lane and I have to merge into the new lane.  The pavement level of the new lane is higher than the pavement  I'm on. 

The picture below is an alley way in Chicago.  I was approaching this for the second time to access a garage down the alley to the right, after that brick wall.  The first time, I took the center because my bike is wide and A) I didn't want it near the garbage cans B) Even more, I didn't want it near the brick wall and C) that center piece is wider than my tires, so it shouldn't be an issue.  The first time, I was paying attention and did this without problem.  The second time, not so much.

The second time, I was focused on something else.  I don't know what it was.  It could have been a bumble bee in my helmet or a chipmunk running up that drain pipe.  It doesn't really matter what it was, I wasn't giving this obstacle the attention it deserved.  My front tire  edge caught the pavement's edge ...I think the left side of my front tire contacted the raised pavement on the left side.  I was launched at the brick wall.  The distance between the center and the wall is less than 4 feet.

Right about now, you're probably wondering what happened.  I did not wreck; but, I'm absolutely sure that an inexperienced rider would have either hit the wall or dumped the bike after narrowly missing the wall.  It was a violent event.  I was fortunate, my reaction was the right one and that's why I want to share.  Every situation is different, so your mileage may vary.  Don't take this as an instructional post - just the thoughts of someone who's had the experience.

My reaction wasn't to grab the brakes.  This would certainly lead to a wreck.  Why?  Because when you grab the brakes you change the geometry of the bike and destabilize it.  The faster a motorcycle is moving, the more stable it is.  Try riding 1 mph and compare that to 70 mph.  At 70, your bike is rock solid at 1 mph, it's as unstable as Charles Manson on crack.   My response was to turn away from the wall and keep my speed unchanged.  Pressure the left handle bar and lean.  I stayed off the throttle.  My thinking is that once the bike is back upright, it's a good time for brakes.  Throttle, uncontrolled could send you into the opposite wall...and that would bad.  Bouncing off the garages all the way down the alley, like a pin ball, would not only hurt; but, it would probably wreck your bike.

So, there it is....what happens if your tire catches an edge.  Going back to the highway example, you probably have a much greater time period to deal with the problem...lest you merge really late and find yourself face to face with some road signage.   Attacking the obstacle deliberately is the best approach, just don't be  but, wishy washy about it.  Don't lose your focus.  Commit.  I wasn't paying attention and nearly payed for it with a wrecked bike.







1 comment:

  1. Hi there, nice blog on lovely bike. Maybe you touched the right side of pavement with the right side of the tire? Modern rubber is so grippy that it tends to climb up to ridges and pulls the bike to that side. It's something I experience almost daily. I think your reaction was excellent, good to stay cool.
    Regards, Henk

    ReplyDelete