Monday, April 4, 2016

5 minute tent setup

So here's the situation.  You're out riding and you get caught in the rain, an hour before dark.  You don't have a hotel option, so you're forced to set up your tent in the rain.  If you're lucky, it's just a drizzle.  If you're unlucky, it's a down pour.  Either way, the objective is to set up your tent and keep the contents inside dry.

This is how I set up in 5 minutes.  I take the time to put together my tent before I leave home.  I actually pitch it in the living room.  I pack the sleeping bag, air mattress and pillow inside.  It is packed on top of everything else in my dry bag.  On top of it is my rain fly and on top of that is my ground cover.

If I should have to pitch in the rain, ideally, I'd like to find a place between two healthy trees.  If you do this, look up and make sure the wind and/or rain will not bring any branches down on top of you.  Between the two trees, I would run parachute cord and drape my rain cover over it to give me some cover to start with.  If I don't have that option, I would lay the ground cover out first, the rain fly on top of it and pull the tent assembly out of the dry bag, in one piece between the two.  From there, I'd simply assemble the poles, pass them under the rain fly and raise the tent that way.  Having a second set of hands on a windy day would be very useful!

It is CRITICAL that when you pack a tent like this that the mosquito netting is on the outside so that when it is compressed, air will not stay in the tent.  Failure to do this will make you very unhappy when the seams burst.  Pack and compress SLOWLY!!!

Here's the video!


No comments:

Post a Comment