Sunday, February 15, 2015

20150215 - New Port Richey to New Port Richey Florida

This trip is proof positive that I need to carry my Spot Tracker everywhere I ride.  I was out for 7 hours riding and can't accurately plot all the little side roads and county highways I got off on.  Basically, this started out as a hiking adventure.  I was set to go to hiking somewhere up by the Richolam wildlife management area, south of Withlacoochee State park.  Of course, I took the bike for the ride there and back.

As I approached Ridge Manor, just outside the park, a train was broken down across Rt. 50, so I swung a U-Turn and parked in the parking lot of the Gas/Convenience store on the corner, ate peanuts and watched the traffic approach, K-turn and bail.  It wasn't but about 20 or 30 minutes before the train cleared and I was on my way.  Shortly after, I found the trail head.  Unfortunately, there was no parking and some guy in a Dodge Charger was insistent on tailgating me, so I wasn't about to slow down to look closely.  The plan was to pull off at the next paved road and go back.  It so happens that I turned off on County road something or other and decided to check it since there were tons of weeping willow trees and green scenery.  That road came to a dead ended about 2 miles ahead.  I turned around and continued with the original plan; but, about a quarter mile coming back on Rt. 50, I noticed a sign that said Florida State Scenic Byway.

It took me about 2 seconds to decide that today was going to be a riding day.  From that point until I got to Leesburg Fl., some many hours later, I have no clue where I was; but, the roads were not jammed with cars and the scenery was very nice.  The only plan was to follow the signs that someone was nice enough to put out there for me.  I think my routing may have taken me up toward Ocklawaha.  I saw several signs pointing toward Ocala.  Again, I really wasn't concerned where I was at.

At some point, I thought I should probably head home, since I was in the middle of nowhere.  My GPS wanted to route me back via the toll road and that just wasn't going to happen.   I consulted my ROAD ATLAS (you carry one, right) and selected a route back; but, along the way, I came through Bushnell Florida and there is a lot of construction.  My lane put me into a tight one lane, uneven, rocky cattle shoot for about a quarter mile.  During that time, some guy in a pickup and some lady in a mini-van, clearly trying to circumvent the road signs turned into my lane and started coming at me.  She was smart enough to turn around.  The A-hole in the pickup kept coming at me.  Fortunately, I found enough space to narrowly pass him.  When I got to the end, it was totally closed off.  They were having some kind of car rally in town.   There were detour signs, so I followed.  They took me into more nice country roads, so I decided I'd follow those for awhile.  Eventually, I found myself on Rt. 27 somewhere around Minneola.  I saw signs for Disney ahead, so I decided I really better make tracks for home.  Again, I pulled over to consult the ROAD ATLAS.

I pulled into a Gas/Convenience store and next to some people on red Gold Wings.  They looked new.  It so happens that they were from Harleysville, 5 miles from where I used to live in Collegeville PA.  They flew down to Orlando and rented these.  They were headed to the Panhandle.  One guy normally rides a V-Strom and the other a BMW R bike; but, wasn't specific.

Thinking that I was further North on Rt. 27, I decided to just reverse course, travel North and grab I-75.  As it was, I ended up backtracking about 15 miles.

Here is the route as best as I can remember it.  I really need to carry the Spot Tracker wherever I go.  I was on so many little roads and offshoots.  It was a good ride.  Chances are, I'll do it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment