Friday, April 4, 2014

4/3/2014 - Panel replacement and rusted centerstand????

Well now.  It's been a horrible winter and I've only gotten a couple of riding days in since my return from Houston in mid December. 

This last week, I was replacing some panels on my K1600GT from my slow speed drop (video on this blog) and from when the wind too my bike over

In order to properly remove the top panel, you have to remove the lower panel in order to get to the bottom screws.  To remove the lower panel, you have to remove the auxiliary fog light; which is torx and over tightened.  Instead of potentially stripping these screws, I opted for removing the auxiliary light bracket from its mounting point on the engine.  Doing one side of the bike in this way took me about 4 hours to get the panel off and on again; mostly due to there being a 1 inch clearance between the bolt head and the fairing.  I needed a right angle torx wrench and then needed vice grips to get the bolt back in and tight.  How I didn't damage the bolt, I don't know; but, 3 hours into the job I lost my giveadamn.  It shouldn't be this hard.

The other side (right) was easier.  I decided to cheat.  Usually cheating gets me in trouble; but, it was worth a try and saved me 2 hours.  This time, I loosened the lower panel and gently pried the top piece over the marker/turn light, creating enough room to get to the torx screw buried in there.  Again, only 1" of clearance, so it took awhile getting things back in and aligned.

Time to put some real crash bars on this bike.  Yeah, I get it - don't drop it.  The problem is, I really like to slow ride and push the limits of how slow I can ride this big bike.  I can't make the speedometer read 0 yet; but, I can make it read 1.  Besides that, there's the austere conditions I find myself riding in.  Hell, most of the damage came from this bike being blown off the side stand!

These are the crash bars I'm going with.  I'll get them in black.





Now, while I was working on the lower panels, I couldn't help but notice this:



I sent photos to Hermy's BMW since this bike is just 9 months old requesting it to be replaced under warranty.  I await an answer.  Just yesterday, I was reading about a riders center stand collapsing because of rust.  I will post their reply here.

1 comment:

  1. This seems to be a design flaw due to the bike being less than a year old; the replacement will likely do the same. Maybe you should consider removing it, strip it down, then paint it with Rhino Liner type water proofing paint.

    ReplyDelete