Wednesday, April 9, 2014

4/8/2014 - 16,370 - New rear tire and trunk mount brake light.

From my last post, you saw that I needed a new rear tire.  As soon as I got home from that trip, I pulled the spent tire off and threw it in the pick-up.  BMW made this very simple.  It's actually easier than changing a tire on a car.  Simply put the bike on the center stand, unscrew the T-50 lug nuts and pull the tire off.  Simple.  You do have to shimmy it out the bottom and may need to loosen the muffler to do so; but, essentially, that's it.  I decided to take the muffler (BMW calls it a silencer) off completely, which is just a bracket and 3 Torx bolts.  This made remounting the tire easier.

While I was there, I checked the brakes.  I bough new ones; but, the ones that are there look damn good and I'm not replacing them just on the account of because.  I checked the fronts also.  They are also good.  I imagine they are so good because most of my miles are highway miles; although, I do a lot of slow ride and I'd expect that to take it's toll on the rear brake.

When I got to Hermy's for the new tire, I got to talking about the new K16's.  They are very snazzy indeed; but, I'm not sure I like the additional $4k price tag!  I noted the brake light on the trunk and reflected on my ride home the other day, when I heard a screech behind me and a cager swerve to avoid me.  I was turning left and stationary in the lane.  I think it's hard to see the tail lights with the trunk on, so I plopped down some extra money and bought the tail light.  If it saves my butt just once, it was worth it.

Now that I've got this horribly new looking tire on my rear, I need to scuff it up a bit.  What better way to do that than a bounce trip to Daytona and back?  That's the plan for this weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment