Saturday, November 23, 2013

11/23/2013 Day 2: Lordsburg, NM to Sierra Blanca (250 miles :-( )

I stopped riding last night and was in bed by midnight.  It's 5:45 and I can't sleep any more.  I opened the curtain and saw some sleet piled up on the cars around my bike.

The radar looks like this:




I'll wait out that little snow storm to my East before moving.  I'm really pleased to see no other precipitation on the radar between here and Eastern Texas along I-10.  With any luck, the roads will be dry all the way through Teas.  Today's destination is Crowley LA.  If I make it that far, the rest of the trip will be dry.  Let's hope for that!

Time to use the downtime this morning to get breakfast and pack.



Well, I've take this as far as I can.  I-10 is shutdown and I'm stuck in Sierra Blanca.  Fortunately, I have a motel room.  Here's my progress so far.



When I got up this morning, I saw this:




Seriously, it wast 34 degrees with 40mph winds and snow.  The pavement was wet, not frozen.  I suspect the ground temperature was still above freezing.  I took it slow and headed down the interstate. I just wanted to get out of the "Land of Enchantment."

I came to realize that the sound of rain on the helmet has a different sound than the sound of sleet pelting the helmet.  Sleet has a more tympanic sound to it.  The human ear is remarkable; because even with the 40 mph wind bashing my helmet from the left and the 70mph wind from the front; both sounding like a freight train, I was able to appreciate the difference.

As it worked out, about 33 miles outside Sierra Blanco,  I was low on gas and the gauge said I had 25 miles left in the tank.  I was 33 miles from the nearest gas station.  I know when the tank reads zero, I have another gallon.  No worries, right?  Wrong.

About 10 miles West of Sierra Blanca, traffic came to a stop.  I was concerned now because the GPS said 15 miles to the gas station, and my distance to empty was now 8 miles.  The temp was 32, and all of a sudden, it was sleeting.  If I ran out of gas, I was in big trouble.  For the first time, I grabbed the shoulder and rode past it all.  Then I found out that the border patrol was making everyone exit the Interstate due to a 4 truck pileup…or was it 4 pileups?  It seems like everyone has a different story about exactly what occurred.  Either way, my DTE is now zero, and has been for the last couple miles. I was worried that the road ahead was going to take me on a 25 mile desert detour, so I asked the border patrol and was assured there were gas stations about a mile off the exit.  After another 15 minutes of sitting in traffic, I made the gas station.  By then, I was seeing trucks and cars plowing ice in front of their tires.  Thinking about Bill Engval - "Here's your sign!," I grabbed a bite to eat and found a motel in town.

The motel is primitive; but, clean.  The heat works and there's Internet and cable.  No cell service.

The weather for the rest of the day looks pretty bad.  I don't think I'm getting out of here.  Tomorrow's high is 32 and it's going to be precipitating all day.  I'm thinking I will need to stay here tomorrow also. Monday's high is 47.  More on this later.  Right now, I want to show you the view from my room.




and a pic of my bike as it is now.  Yes, there's about 2 mm of ice coating it.




5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about the bike falling over, but I can honestly say I know how you feel because its happened to me. I really like the spot program; its kinda cool to see how you're progressing. Keep yourself safe and I'll talk to you soon.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to know that your tracker shows you standing still because you are standing. I hope they at least have cable... some towns are dry on sunday... be sure to stock up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go figure; the whole idea of going south was hopefully going to keep you out of sleet and snow. I hope the hotel has more on tv than Planes, Trains, and Automobiles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew I was taking a gamble. This was forecast to be the worst section of the trip. I can't say I wasn't expecting there to be some problems. At least I'm not still up in the mountains of New Mexico. I probably wouldn't get off the mountain for a few days!

    ReplyDelete