Thursday, October 20, 2016

Extra fuel and water storage system - any bike!

I have a need to carry extra fuel and water with me when I ride sometimes.  I've had more than one occasion where I was very close to being stranded for lack of fuel.  With plans to ride the Dalton Highway in Alaska and be more adventuresome in Mexico and Canada, extra fuel is really not a luxury.  It's a necessity.  I hope I never need to pour fuel into my tank from my reserves; but, I'm ready if I do.

This solution is nice if A) You don't want to or really can't fabricate a metal backing plate to mount your fuel cells; or, B) you want a system that is easy on/off and can be used on different bikes.  In my case, I'll probably ride my K1600GT to the Dalton, rent a dual sport, do the ride to Prudhoe and back and get back on my K16 for everything else.  This fuel solution will work with any bike as long as you can tie things down.

The cooler is an AO 48 pack off road cooler.  I bought it at Chaparells and payed less than $100 for it.  The fuel cells are Roto-Pax 2 gallon cells and the water cell is a 2 gallon Roto-Pax water cell.  There is just enough room to squeeze a couple ice packs in there, if you wanted to keep the water (and fuel) cool.

The plan is purchase some webbing plastic side release buckles that are the same size as the ones on the bag, as well as nylon webbing and anchor the webbing under the seat for quick on and off.  We can also put another webbing/ buckle on the back of the seat to keep the bag from moving forward.  Since there is a trunk on my bike, the bag moving backward isn't an issue.  Even without the webbing attached to the bike, tie down straps will easily do the job.


No comments:

Post a Comment