Wednesday, August 10, 2016

20160810 - Oil problem update

I am still having trouble with oil consumption on my motorcycle.  I don't believe I should be losing half a quart between oil changes.  I've asked several dealerships and they say it's normal.  I have a hard time believing that Mr. BMW would design a motorcycle that consumes this much oil.

My friend Scot went through he whole motorcycle repair curriculum and has been wrenching on bikes for years.  We talked about the break-in process and I told him that I departed from the manual a bit.

The manual calls for the first oil change at 600 miles.  I changed my oil 2 times before that because I read an article about how motorcycle engines shed the most metal in the first hundred miles or so and it was important to get rid of it.  Scot though and I agreed that maybe the quick oil changes didn't allow the break in to happen and we agreed to try an oil change with non-synthetic oil of the same weight just for 3,000 miles to see if things improve or not.

So, this is the first time this bike has had anything except BMW 20W40 oil in it.  When I get back from my Florida to NJ to Florida trip, I will change the oil back to synthetic and see if that makes any difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment