Thursday, March 5, 2015

20150305 - 20150306 - Datona

It's twenty after 10.  I thought it was midnight and accidentally retired early.  Now, I'm not able to fall asleep and watching this little bug run circles on my laptop screen.  It's the only light for a long way and he's thinking he's going to heaven.  I won't disappoint him by squishing him.  Unfortunately, he won't get to heaven this way.  Does this mean he's in purgatory?

Enough about the bug dancing around my screen.  What I really need to write about is this trip.  It was a last minute thing.  I called up Jeff Kurtz and asked where he was.  As it worked out, he was in Daytona, going to camp and start a ride around Florida tomorrow.  I invited myself along, and here I am.

Getting to the camp site was challenging.  There is a tiny little sign that indicates the way to the camp.  Once there, finding Jeff and Cliff took awhile.  It's a large campground.  Jeff said to turn left after the registration area, go to the end and then turn right.  I'd see his bike.  I turned left went to the end and saw a gravel road.  Jeff is an off road rider, so this wasn't a surprise.  I took it.  It went behind a bunch of buildings  I kept going when I popped out the other side, went to the end of the park, hit another gravel road, took that and ended up back at registration, after traversing the whole park.  After talking to the staff and consulting a map, I found the tent area; but, it is also huge.   At this point,  I was riding in the grass.  Again, I got to the end of the road (grass), did a U-Turn and started heading back across the tent area on another "road."  I saw Jeff's bike and my travels for the night was done!  Jeff and Cliff greeted me.  Cliff is an awesome, energetic guy and made me the best damn hot dogs I ever had.  I don't know what he put on it.  I suspect salt, ground pepper, garlic salt and who knows what else.  They were fantastic.

Jeff had a tent pitched for me; but, by midnight, I was getting eaten alive by mosquitoes that were coming in through a top flap that doesn't shut well.  I pitched my tent and it was incredibly easy since the moon was full and high in the sky.  It was like pitching a tent during day light.

I awoke in the morning to Jeff and Cliff making breakfast.  Cliff drove and towed his bike behind his car, so he had all kinds of food and camping equipment  I am clearly a novice camper when in the company of these two!



It would appear that all my luggage exploded in my tent.  This will take a while to repack.



  So, the funny thing about this whole trip so far is that I didn't realize that it was Daytona Bike Week and we were going there.  We were only going to spend half a day and then head up to St. Augustine to meet more people and do more riding tomorrow.  I had never been to Bike Week, so this should be interesting.  Unfortunately, temps were in the mid to upper 50's and it was raining from the time we broke camp till the time we got done riding in the evening.



You have the bigger generator.  I concede.  






Our view for lunch...























No comments:

Post a Comment