Sunday, August 3, 2014

"Don't show nobody nuthin'" - BMW MOA National Rally 7/2014

It was my first rally and I was impressed.  There were almost 6,000 people there, and I'd have to say that at least that many showed up on 2 wheels.  I can't say I've ever seen so many bikes in one place.

This is just 1 minute of video, it took me 5 minutes to cruse through all the motorcycles.



I had serious luck the first day.  I've been wanting to get a set of Wunderlich crash bars (front and back); but, without a garage to work on my bike, having them delivered so I could install them was going to be problematic.  Wunderlich was at the show and was happy to install them for me.  While my bike was getting fancy new bars, I strolled over to the indoor vendor area, where I found Shuberth.  They were able to fix the air inlet tab on my helmet in a heartbeat.  2 for 2!  Now that the business end of the rally was done, it was time to enjoy the rest of the rally.  There was a pretty good vendor showing; but, I thought there were several groups missing.  I expected someone to be there from the Spot company selling Spot trackers and extras.  I expected a smattering of people selling GPS', camping gear, and other things.  No such luck.  That said, there was still an impressive list of vendors there.

I watched the GS Giants competition/demonstration.  They had an obstacle course set up in kind of tight quarters - with a big dirt mound in the center, and several obstacles that required serious skills to navigate.  Jeff Kurtz was narrating the event and some guy 'Coach' was explaining all the technical aspects.  Learning technical riding would definitely be challenging.

I also took in two seminars while I was there.  Jeff gave one.  He talked about life on 2 wheels and did a bang up job.  It was clear to the audience that he wasn't there to sell anything and was emotionally invested in what he's accomplished.  He came across as a straight shooter and was totally open and willing to share anything asked of him.  My biggest wish was that Jeff had put one or two slides up.  He's snapped and video'd so many good things over the last year; even a poster board would have worked.  If you haven't seen Jeff speak, go.  Be prepared to listen to someone who speaks from the heart and a tearful laugh.

Then there was a guy from Thurmont Md., my old stomping ground.  His preso was about mountain riding.  At first, I wasn't going to go; but, Jeff wanted to go and there wasn't a better looking preso in that time slot, so I decided I'd go.  As soon as the speaker walked into the room, it was clear that he was doing the preso to sell a service.  I can pick this kind of preso out; because, I've given so many.  Being a public speaker, I've delivered several types of speeches, most of them promotional.  Usually, I don't have a strongly positive or negative reaction to a speaker; and, if my thoughts are negative in anyway, they are very tempered because I know first hand how hard it is to stand in front of people and deliver a message.

The issue wasn't just the way he delivered his message; but, what he was saying.  The speaker was drawing parallels between his flying experiences and motorcycle riding.  Being an experienced pilot, I thought some of these parallels would be worthwhile; but, he took a totally awkward path that doesn't bode well for motorcyclists or pilots.  He discussed lines and related that piloting was about following lines in the sky - glide slope and localizer and how that keeps you safe.  He was saying that motorcyclists should follow a line while riding, always starting in the left most part of the lane.  He went on to say that he's so close to the double yellow that cars coming the other way have no choice but to notice him, maybe even move over.  He seemed to like this idea and even offered that it was his lane, he was "Pilot in command."  Well, PIC, doesn't apply to motorcycle riders in any capacity and in the aviation world, PIC gives you no authority to influence the behavior of anyone else.  At the absolute most, the PIC can declare an emergency and tell the controller what his intentions are, at which point, the controller is obligated to move heaven and earth to accommodate the pilot.  PIC is a term that is used in the aviation world when discussing the authority of the pilot to meet the extent of an emergency and who's responsible for aircraft operation.  That is it.  There is no flying a course to make another pilot adjust their course as a result.  It's a stupid idea in the air and it's equally stupid on the ground.  A 1000# mass traveling at 45 mph striking another object, also moving at 45 mph, weighing 2600# is going to result in bad things; and that is exactly what will happen when the car rounds the bend halfway over the center line.  I think what was being suggested is unsafe, and irresponsible.  He's not teaching on a track.

I had to believe that everyone in that room had enough common sense to select a lane position that affords them the best view of the road AND maximizes their chances for safety; and if it were just that, I wouldn't be giving this review.  There was a clear problem with the speaker's attitude.  It was clear that he was a commander, he was in charge when he was riding.  He spoke of a riding style, a zen like experience.  The guy behind me even started to hum.   The style was "Show nobody nuthin'."  How do you trust a guy that will charge you $1,000 for a riding course with that mantra?  Also, where's the bit about safety and fun?  Does he really think that anyone is watching him ride, hoping the glimmer of some ancient riding secret can be gleaned from his posture or manipulation of the controls?  I have news for him.  Nobody's watching.  More news...there's nothing that you can teach that is new to the sport.  Many have come before you and many are better than you.  500,000 buys you a raise of the eyebrow, for sure.  I concede that; but you claimed that nobody has embraced riding like you have.  I'm sorry; but, you're in a crowd of 6,000 BMW riders.  There are more than just a couple hard core riders out there that would gladly rip their pinky finger off than stop riding.

When he closed his speech, he was taunting the audience to give him another question.  He had a demanding tone I couldn't appreciate; except to say it removed any doubt about whether I would ever take a riding course from him.  This is not the type of instructor I'd want.

I'm hopeful that the MOA will not invite this speaker back.  I'm also hopeful that those people that do decide to ride with him stay safe and think about what he's teaching before blindly implementing it in practice.

1 comment:

  1. Jeez! I'm sorry I missed this egomaniac.
    Great blog, great bike.

    ReplyDelete